Monday, July 20, 2009

And on the Third Day...

Jamie Fox ~ Jeffrey Stanton Bell ~ Michael Jackson Early '80s ~ Michael's Arm Early 2000s


...the BET Awards changed their annual program to honor Michael Jackson’s passing. And Jamie Foxx revealed the mystery of why Michael would grab his crotch when he danced. Apparently it was a case of “his pants were too tight” and he was dealing with some camel toe issues. Some people took offence. Whatever, I thought it was funny. Janet came out at the end and did her “Michael was an Icon speech”.

But something I noticed about the show did bother me. They only used images of Michael from the time before his skin started to lighten. To me that indicated that the African-American population really didn’t believe Michael’s story of having to deal with vitiligo, or maybe they disapproved of his choice to blend his skin tone with the white patches instead of the dark patches. Personally I thought that vitiligo only affected small parts of the body. After some research I found out that it can actually cover the entire body. So, now that he’s dead, I’m ashamed to say; I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I think, it probably would have been helpful if Michael had been willing to show us his vitiligo, but I get the impression that he didn’t really feel like it was any of our business. Is this a good time to tell you he had Lupus too? Or maybe I should save that for another post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment